Application start is January 5, 2024
The artists' research stays are planned for a maximum of one month at a time or can take place in several shorter visits to the houses. The residency will take place in summer 2024 and will be scheduled according to the living and logistical situation of the participating artists. During the residency, the artist will be supervised by the host institution, which will also grant access to the archive. Photoszene Köln organizes travel and accommodation and creates a network among the participants and in the city purely through artist talks, archive visits and excursions.
The artists can present and showcase the results of their work in the form of an exhibition as part of the Photoszene Festival from May 2025. The exhibition projects will be shown at the institutions themselves and/or at associated locations and will be on display for at least 6 weeks. They will be ceremonially opened together on May 9, 2025. The Artist Meets Archive program will be accompanied by public event formats such as talks or symposia on the festival and will thus receive broad attention.
Announcement of the participating institutions: December 12, 2023
Submissions: January 5 to 31, 2024
Jury meetings: Beginning of February 2024
Residency period: max. 1 month in summer 2024
Exhibition period: at least 6 weeks from May 9 - June 22 2025
The following documents are required:
- Name of the house you would like to work at (Announcement of participating Institutions by mid december)
- Letter of motivation for the specific expression of interest addressed to the house (approx. 500-1,000 characters)
- Curriculum vitae (CV) with details of place of birth, residence and education
- Artistic statement with portfolio of past work and/or an expressive website
- Catalogs, brochures, etc. can be submitted by mail to Internationale Photoszene Köln gUG, Im Mediapark 7, 50670 Cologne (not obligatory).
- Postal submissions can NOT be returned.
Terms and Conditions
Who can take part?
- The AMA#4 Open Call is open to all professional artists and photographers of all ages.
- The AMA#4 Open Call is primarily aimed at artists who are already dealing with archive issues in their work.
- The AMA#4 Open Call is advertised internationally.
- The artist should be willing to research and work temporarily in Cologne.
What will the artist receive?
- Travel and accommodation costs will be covered or reimbursed by Photoszene.
- The artist will receive an artist fee of 2 x € 1,500 in the residency year and a further fee of € 1,500 in 2025 (= € 4,500 in 2024/2025).
- The participating institutions grant the artists access to the archive or to selected parts of the archive/collection.
- An exhibition during Photoszene-Festival 2025
Do you have questions? Please send an email to: email@example.com